Monday, July 7, 2008

Playing Catch-up for the Summer

In May, Rachael and Rylee went to Myrtle Beach (without ME). I know, I know, I couldn't believe it either. But despite not having me there, they still managed to have a great time. Here is a picture of Rylee meeting an alligator. It's too bad they didn't get a video, because at one point the alligator came up behind her just as she turned to look at it and scared her to death. When she called me that night and told me about her day, the first thing she said was that an "alligator attacked me, but I got away, so you don't need to worry".

Later in May, Rachael's family went to Topsail Beach. I joined them at the end of the week and spent some time chasing Ghost Crabs. After a few tries, I had my technique down and could catch them pretty easy. Well, at least the big ones, the little ones are almost impossible to catch.


Here are some sunrise pictures I took at Topsail. I had never seen the sunrise on the East Coast, mainly because I'm too lazy to get up that early in the morning. I had to get up at 5:45 a.m. to get these shots. It was pretty awesome, but I probably won't be able to do it again.

And finally, we're all caught up. The 4th of July. We went to Hillary and Mike's house for a great potluck party earlier in the day. Then we went to Rams Head near Kenan Stadium to watch the fireworks with a bunch of friends from church.

Watch carefully kids, this is how you start a fire. Just kidding. We were passing out sparklers which got a little crazy when about 15 kids wanted me to light their sparklers at the same time.

Here is Rylee with two of her friends, Kaylee and Matilda. This is also a good picture of the beginning of the end of our firework experience. See how dark the sky looks behind the girls. Well, about ten minutes after this picture was taken we experienced a lightning and rain storm that put an end to our 4th of July fun. We didn't get to see the fireworks from the stadium and Rylee was really bummed. She kept saying our holiday was ruined, but it wasn't, we had a great day celebrating our freedom with all of our friends. Plus later that night, around 11 pm, they launched the fireworks anyway, and we were able to watch them from our apartment windows at Baity Hill.

Well, there you have it, I'm all caught up and plan on posting a little more frequently. At least until school starts in the fall. At that point I might just disappear and leave you all wondering if I still exist. Hopefully by then Rach will feel more like herself and more up to posting again.

6 comments:

Karen and Adam said...

Your blog ROCKS! I have to say your blogging skills are up there with your numb chuck skills. Looks like your summer has been a good one, even though the 4th was ruined!  I will have to see what I can do to get the old camper back so we can create some good memories with our girls. I think my uncle still has the truck, but he parted with the camper a few years ago. Nothing like huge flames to get a fire and my mom going! Where you there the time my mom got pulled over? Oh the good times in the old red truck. The Weezer song sure takes me back to the good times we had while driving around in your truck.

Daina Romney said...

Hey Rylan, I am oh so happy to see some new picture on your blog. I've got to say that it about time. Just kidding! I know you posted the fly story but I need a little more substance than that! Anyway, glad to see your back on track with your blogging.

Natalie said...

Yay for Topsail Island! We go there every year and love it! That alligator story was so funny and amazing. Usually they never move!

Justesen's said...

Rylan, just trying to give you some positive feedback on your blog so you will keep posting. I love reading what your family is up to. Looks like you are having a great summer, we can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks. Love ya Kendra

melissa said...

"Attacked by an alligator" --Awesome! We just got back from Topsail Island and I'm very impressed that you woke up that early. I decided to settle for the sunsets. Glad you're all doing well!

Angela said...

I have to say I'm an "R-cubed" regular. . .but I'm curious if this is going to be "R to the 4th" in a couple months :) Your stories about Rylee are a total crack up. First the fly and then the aligator. HA! Having kids must be a blast!