Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Dinner Etiquette Rule Number 1: No yelling at flies in the restaurant !!

For the last few weeks, Rachael has not quite been herself. She is having a bit of a rough first trimester and has established some basic ground rules for me. One of which is not talking about food of any kind in her presence. So last night, because Rachael wasn't up for going to dinner with me and because she doesn't like the smell of anything cooking in the house, I decided it would be a good opportunity to spend some quality time with Rylee on a little daddy-daughter date. We went to Brixx Pizza because it's low key and Rylee loves pizza. When our food arrived Rylee was very polite and thanked the waitress for bringing her food. I was so proud of her for her outstanding manners and how well dinner was going. But it was too good to be true...halfway through our meal a fly started buzzing Rylee while she was eating. If you've ever been to Brixx than you know that the tables are extremely close together and it was really busy that night. All of a sudden, Rylee turns and faces a little family sitting next to us and shouts at the top of her lungs, "STOP TOUCHING ME, GO AWAY!" Of course she was yelling at the fly and not to the table next to us, but the look on their faces made it clear that they did not understand her perspective. After she did this two or three times, I told her to stop yelling at the fly or people would think she was crazy. But she reassured me that the fly understood her perfectly and she needed to tell it to go away. When we left dinner, it felt like everyone in the restaurant was staring at us. I decided to make this Rule number one for our family dinner etiquette: No yelling at flies during dinner, even if you think they can understand you. Note to Brixx: get some fly traps.

1 comment:

Rachael said...

Rylan was very sad that know one commented on his post. I know that I am partly to blame for this because I have been an MIA blogger lately. Anyways, so I thought I would leave a comment for Rylan to say...thanks for filling in for me in almost all aspects of life lately...cleaning, cooking, laundry, grocery shopping...even blogging! Your post made me laugh and also captured just how accommodating you have been lately while I have been feeling sick! I love you Rylan!