Saturday, March 27, 2010

Raleigh Rocks Half Marathon

Last summer I made a goal to run a half marathon after running in the Tour de Carrboro (a three race series: a 4 mile, 8K, and 10K). The first person I told other than Rylan that this was a goal was my mother in law, Jaima. I remember feeling nervous about saying it out loud in case it didn't happen. However after the first Carrboro race, I was hooked. I love having something to work towards, something other than just burning calories, to motivate me. Speed does not interest me as much as the challenge of long distances. I started training for this race specifically at the beginning of the year. We had a few obstacles with snow and sickness and I started to worry I wasn't going to make it. However, when a dear friend passed away much too young, I thought, what if I didn't have a tomorrow to realize my dream? "Carpe Diem", right? So I registered in February and was committed! Registration Fees are not cheap and the only thing I hated worse than the idea of wasting that money was not running the whole way!


So yesterday I did it! 13.1 miles! It was great. Actually the hardest miles were 4 and 5. Miles 1-3 flew by with the excitement of the race. But then I started to feel the effects of a week of insomnia (perfect timing huh...I am sleeping like a baby now!). But by mile 6 I got in a groove and really enjoyed miles 6-11. At the 11 mile marker, I thought " Sure I am tired but only 2 miles left...just take it a mile at a time. No problem." So I ran and ran and kept waiting for the 12th mile marker. Eventually I thought, "this is the longest mile of my life...will it never come?" Then I turned a corner and realized I was a quarter mile from the finish line. What a surprise! I must have missed the marker, but I was thrilled. I ran the whole way! It took me about 2 hours 20 minutes but they haven't posted times yet so I am not exactly sure. So hurray! I accomplished my goal. I feel truly grateful to my Heavenly Father for a healthy body and another day on this earth to set and achieve my goals. Now I just need a new one! Any ideas?

12 comments:

Jami & Boys said...

GO Rachael! I'll run the next one with you!

Kenyon and Jaima said...

From the pictures, I can't tell if you won the race, but if you finished you did better than me. Congrats! Jaima is racking up the miles on the treadmill though.

Angela said...

What have I been missing??!! I hadn't checked your blog in a while, but boy am I glad I did today!! CONGRATS on your half marathon! Way to go! And I love Riley's haircut (how did you learn to cut hair)? And the photos of Landon's room (the tree is amazing)! Thanks for blogging. It means a lot to me so I can see your beautiful family!

Kathryn Palmer said...

Congratulations on completing the half marathon. What a great goal to accomplish. You've inspired me!

Kenyon and Jaima said...

Way to go Rachael,I guess I can't complain about the four miles I try to walk on my treadmill everyday any more!

Daybell's said...

WOW!! That is Amazing- next stop 1/2 marathon at Disney World with Ty!!!!

Doreen said...

Wow. Good JOB! That is impressive. HALF MARATHON?? Geez. I don't know if I'll ever do a race that long, but I admire those who can!!

Doreen said...

Wow. Good JOB! That is impressive. HALF MARATHON?? Geez. I don't know if I'll ever do a race that long, but I admire those who can!!

Natalie said...

Congratulations! That is so awesome. Way to go!

Unknown said...

you are my hero, Rach. Way to go!

Rebecca said...

Woohoo! You go girl!

alananddanielle said...

Way to go-maybe I should work towards something like that. It would be really good for me. Awesome! You should be proud of yourself.