Friday, May 7, 2010

Beach Week 2010

We had another great week at the beach this year. The weather was a little chilly and rainy the first few days but even then we had 3 beautiful rainbows.

Later in the week it warmed up and we were able to enjoy the beach more.
The highlight was when Rylee and Rylan went on a six hour sailing adventure on a catamaran. They saw wild horses and dolphins.
Since we went during the school year she was the only kid on the boat (almost everyone else was retired). So Captain Steve let Rylee steer for about 45 minutes. He even pulled up the cooler so she could see over the top of the wheel. What a great captain and first mate!
Rylee also loved riding on the net as the water flew by underneath her.

They went to Cape Lookout Lighthouse which is on an uninhabited island.


Rylee took this picture of Rylan...not bad!

Together they found some big sea shells!


We also went to the Fort Macon and the aquarium. Landon was quite a bit older than last year....
...and really loved it!
We had him wear this little backpack because there were tons of kids everywhere and he was constantly on the move.

He could have watched the fish swim for hours.

It took Rylee a while to get up the nerve but she loved petting the rays.



I know that was a lot of pictures. I write this blog as a record for our family to have in the future as much as I do to keep people up to date. I am just trying to highlight what I hope to remember. I know I will look back years from now with so many fond memories from this trip. And not just for the sites we saw but for the little memories too...like teaching Rylee how to play battleship and how she arranged her ships like a smiley face. Or when Rylan asked her how she wanted her eggs cooked one morning for breakfast. When she didn't understand what he meant he said "I mean do you want them runny or just firm. She replied "No thanks. I'll just have them perfect please." And one early morning when it was chilly and we went down to the beach in our pajamas. Watching Rylee chase Landon in his sleeper up and down the quiet beach is a sweet memory I will cherish forever. It makes me sad to think next year they will both be a year older, but grateful to know I am blessed with so many wonderful memories!


4 comments:

Natalie said...

What a fun trip. And the daddy daughter time together sounds priceless! I wish I could go sailing too.

Kenyon and Jaima said...

Way to go Captain Rylee,I would love to go sailing with you. What a fun trip you all had. Grandpa and I really want to go there sometime. We love the beach. Being there with you guys would be the best. Love all the pictures of Rylee and Landon,looks like they had a great time.

Daina Romney said...

I want to go to a beach like that where mt kids can find some real shells! cool!

melissa said...

What beautiful pictures and sweet memories! That one of Rylee in front of the lighthouse should be framed.