Saturday, October 4, 2008

Yum!




When I finally recovered from the morning sickness phase of this pregnancy and began cooking again, I decided I wanted to learn how to make bread. I took an enrichment class, tried multiple different recipes (white, half wheat-half white, 100% whole wheat), spent time searching U-Tube for different demonstrations on how to knead, using a kitchen aid mixer, how to shape the loaf, what temperature the water should be, etc. To say the least, making bread was not something that came natural to me, but I was determined to figure it out and incorporate it into our weekly routine. Finally, I spent a morning with a friend at church who makes bread for her family (including 4 kids) every week. And just like that...success! I love her recipe! It is 100% whole wheat (which I grind at my mom's house) and very tasty! I would dare say it is easy (compare to other recipes I have tried anyways). So now it is my personal goal to eliminate store bought bread and make my own bread once a week. We will see how it goes, but nothing is more motivating than the smell and taste of warm homemade bread! Yum!

7 comments:

Kenyon and Jaima said...

Rachael, Your bread looks wonderful, and I know what good bread looks like. I remember the first time I made homemade bread I felt like I had made the Mona Lisa . Congratulations, the only problem is your family will eat it faster than you can make it. Love ya, Keep on baking. Mom Hansen

Daina Romney said...

So, I definitely need your recipe because I have been trying the bread making thing lately as well and it didn't turn out that great! Do you have to use fresh ground wheat or can you just use wheat flour?

Natalie said...

Wow that looks soooo good. You should post your recipe and secrets to success!

Angela said...

man rach! That looks so good! I'm glad (and I bet rylan is too) that you're feeling better now! I miss you!

Karen and Adam said...

Wow, talk about a domestic goddess! My mom used to make bread every week. I don't think anything smells as good as bread. Do you think I could beg the recipe from you?

melissa said...

Very impressive! I tried so many times to make bread and finally gave up. Yeast and I haven't spoken in years. Jeff started making bread every week and we stopped buying bread. Good thing I married a domestic goddess, eh? My mother would be so proud.

Unknown said...

way to go, Rachael! I haven't made bread on my own yet...I keep hoping I'll find a green Kitchen Aid on sale....