Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Fried Delacacies, Carnies and other stuff...

Last week we had the chance to attend the NC state fair. We didn't get to go last year for whatever reason, so this year was highly anticipated. I'm not sure how it is at the Utah fair these days, but out here, they like to fry everything...and candy bars are definitely at the top of the list of favorites. I also found fried pecan pie, fried PB & J, fried pickles, fried hamburgers, and the list goes on and on. AWESOME!!!
Here I am with one of the classics, the fried Snickers. But if Snickers isn't your thing, you can choose from, Milky Way, 3 Musketeers, Oreo's, and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. The trick with these is just not to look at it as your eating it. The inside is melted and brings back memories of changing diapers.
Looks like a corn dog...but don't let that fool ya. This is one of the un-natural wonders of the world.


Rylee and I had fun playing in the UNC tv cut outs. Oh, by the way, Rachael was with us at the fair but somehow escaped all of our pictures, she usually ends up taking all of the pictures. Probably because her camera skills are better than mine.

As soon as we told Rylee we were going to the fair the first thing she said was that she was going to get some cotton candy. So here ya go for all of you who think we don't let Rylee have any sugar...a stick with nothing but sugar just for her.

Rylee was so excited this year because she was tall enough (aka 42") to ride the all (kiddie) rides by herself.

She's so smart too! Here she hurried to the front of this roller coaster so she could have the best seat on the ride.

And this was her reaction every time a ride ended and we told her she had to leave the ride. I can't really blame her, the rides are pretty short!

And finally! What do Carnies do for fun? Well, we know from the Simpson's that Carnies are clever folks. This Carnie has figured out how to draw huge crowds for racing his barn animals. Hogway Racing Pigs was a lot of fun to watch. But my favorite part was watching how much people were getting into it...like it was a Nascar race or something.
Here are the pigs racing around the track. They were actually really fast.
My favorite was watching the ducks race. I had no idea you could teach ducks to race around a track. Apparently, I really need to get out more.

7 comments:

Karen and Adam said...

Oh wow! I think it's worth a plane ticket just for the fair out there! Racing pigs, fried Snickers that remind you of diapers, racing ducks, it's heaven! Seriously, looks like you guys had lots of fun! Rylee is such a darling littler girl! Oh, and thanks for the bread recipe! I can't wait to try it!!!

Natalie said...

OH I just can't wait! We are going this weekend and I am definately looking forward to pig races, corn dogs, and cotton candy.

Daina Romney said...

I wish we could have gone with you guys, I still feel like we were jipped the last time we went, did you go on a weekday!! We never did get to all the fried stuff when we went with you guys the last time, I think we barely made it out of there all together! Just kidding! I would have loved the racing animals, that is awesome, we are going to a festival this weekend with Civil War Reenactors, isn't that awesome, I can hardly wait!! I love living in the south!

Justesen's said...

Racing ducks? I've never heard of a fried PB&J before but the Idaho State Fair has fried candy bars. I've never tried one, they look awesome!!

Kenyon and Jaima said...

Jaima wants to see racing cats. E-mail somebody about that.

Rylee is sure getting taller. She has grown so much since we saw you in August.

So does anyone have a fried pickle in one hand and a fried candy bar in the other. (and Rolaids in their pockets?)

We haven't been to the fair for a long time. It looks like fun.

Anonymous said...

Shoot. I didn't know fairs even had stuff like this. I thought it was a bunch of kiddie rides and lots of Tongan food...maybe that's just my hometown's ghetto way of throwing a fair. We are definitely going to go next year.

Julie said...

How fun! I can't get over how beautiful Rylee is. She is just gorgeous. Congrats on getting a fried candy bar--I've only ever heard of them--it's pretty fascinating to see proof that they exist!